SchoolBenchmarker™ is an innovative school comparison tool. It allows any school in New York State to find similar schools performing at higher levels. Prism and its CTO Andrew Tait have recently updated SchoolBenchmarker™ for Cornell’s New York State Center for Rural Schools. The service could easily be implemented in any state, province or state country.
How does SchoolBenchmarker work?
Users rave about SchoolBenchmarker™’s slick, easy and effective user interface and user experience (UI/UX). For any selected school, SchoolBenchmarker™ presents a default list of potential benchmarks. The list is generated by the clever School Similarity Index (SSI) calculation and by one of two school performance calculations.
The SSI clusters similar schools based on these factors:
- grade-level configuration
- percentage of students receiving free lunch
- percentage of English-language learners
- available resources
The list of similar schools is then sorted from higher to lower performance. There are two school performance calculations:
- Elementary/middle school performance calculation: % proficient Grade 3-8 ELA & Math state assessments * % economically disadvantaged.
- Graduation performance calculation: Net 5 year cohort graduation rate * % economically disadvantaged where net graduation rate is defined as (% cohort graduating 5 yrs by 6/30) – (% cohort dropping out 5 yrs by 6/30).
How can SchoolBenchmarker™ be used to improve performance?
A benchmark is a higher performing, similar school. The more a similar school outperforms your school, the more compelling that school is as a benchmark.SchoolBenchmarker</span™ helps you identify benchmark schools so that you can:
- Set achievable academic targets based on demonstrated best-in-class performance.
- Discover the practices that high performing, similar schools use to achieve their best-in-class performance.
SchoolBenchmarker™ is especially useful for facilitating data-driven conversations regarding the setting of school and grade-level improvement targets in the era of teacher and principal accountability for student performance. In simple terms, SchoolBenchmarker™ lets school leaders know
- How well their schools are doing.
- How much they could improve.
- Where they can go to find out how to improve.
For a more detail description of school benchmarking, see Benchmarking as an Improvement Tool. Or if you’re interested in using SchoolBenchmarker™ in your state, province or country, please contact us.
App icon is Radar, from The Noun Project.